(Similar to “How I Spent My Summer Vacation”, but crammed into 20 hrs)
Originally written & posted to my 1st FaceBook account, July 9, 2012 05:08 hrs….
So…. I got this crazy, tho’ not quite spontaneous idea yesterday (been thinking bout it ever since the sun made its appearance the day before the 4th of July)…. To bring my DUX home from the Farm (where they live), so we could go swimming together in the lake, on this gloriously hot afternoon…
Suddenly, school was in session and I learned the following things:
“Are We Really Goin’ Bye~bye, Momma?”
- Get plenty of rest the night before, so you can keep up with the fast pace of the next 20 hours ……
- Don’t forget that Abbi used to ride in your lap like a small dog when he was a baby! And what are you going to do now, that your Great Dane of a duck wants to ride there again?!?!?! (see 3 large scratches across upper right arm….)
- Have everything you need from the store BEFORE you go get them !
- Have your swimming shorts on when you bring them home, since they just ran down to the lake when you let them outta the truck, and little do you know it, you’ll be swimming alone, seconds after you slip on the bank and fall in while trying to coax the DUX in !!
- Emergency diapers ( Diaper train from birth ~ regardless, since the old “corner of the garbage bag and rubber band” trick only lasted 30 seconds ~ TOPS!!! ) (Better yet~ contact your Friend, Jennifer, and make advance arrangements to rent diaper harnesses for your visitors!!)
- Put up the cat food before you leave to bring them home
- Dig out baby toys and ‘baby cage’, and set them up BEFORE you go get the DUX!
- ( floor pads, I did think of ! )
- Treats ready ~ cookies to get to the lake & back, and back to the truck again!
- Safe place to sleep
- Backup plan
- Who’d a thought they’d still be doing fireworks ?!?!?
- BACKUP– BACKUP PLAN !!
- MORE cookies
- Don’t make plans w/ friend to meet at specific time to do something that doesn’t directly involve your undivided attention to your Dux !
- Don’t be too disappointed when you’re the ONLY ONE in the lake, and the DUX are standing on the beach wondering “what the heck you’re doing out there in the water?!?!” (what’s WRONG with THIS picture, I asked myself….. wish I was brave enough to bring my camera out on the lake, cuz no one’s gonna believe me when I tell them about this ABSURD moment in my life with DUX…..)
Fond Gratitude to my friends, Kristine & Jennifer, that were there to answer my panic- drenched inquiries when I got home with my ‘captives’ and began to realize that we weren’t in Kansas anymore….. (Desperately needing to speak with the WIZARD….)
And finally, I’d like to give special Thanx and gratitude to my Momm for saying “yes”, when I requested my dukki slumber party/ day at the beach!! Thanx Momm, for giving me the opportunity to blunder thru this misadventure! If not, I would never have learned these painfully hard lessons my DUX had to teach me!